The proliferation of fake news has been a trending story in the media and Reportlinker conducted a survey to answer three questions:
- Are Americans news junkies?
- Do they believe all their news sources are reliable?
- Which media channel is the most popular?
Results show that:
- 75% of Americans say they check for news at least once a day
- 58% say they’re confident all the websites they use are reliable
- When checking for news online 32% say Facebook is their main source of news
Younger Millennials (81%) and Hispanics (84%) tend to use their smartphones very frequently while older Americans and Asians (79%) prefer to get news on their laptops or desktops
When validating news sources, several factors are taken into consideration including:
Accurate data (22%), media credibility (20%), the sources quoted (12%), and the date of the article (9%).